From:
R Silvester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 13:37:21 +0000
If you are in the UK I can really recommend you get in touch with the
British Association of Friends of Museums (BAFM) an organisation which
helps groups setting up and gives information and advice to member
groups of Friends and volunteers and other types of supporters groups
for museums, galleries, historic houses etc etc in the UK.

BAFM is run by volunteers who all have first hand experience of running
Friends organisations but a part time paid administrator is employed. As
well as a Handbook, Newsletters, information sheets etc. meetings are
organised nationally (next will be in Glasgow 8-10 October 1999) and
regionally (eg 6 March Bowes Museum, Barnard Castle; 18 March Royal
Naval Museum, Portsmouth, 17 April Salford Museum; 24 April Priest's
House Museum & Garden Wimborne Minster; 1 May Brooklands Museum,
Weybridge; 5 June Yorkshire Sculpture Park, Wakefield). These meetings
are a great way to network and they address topics such a fundraising,
managing volunteers, increasing membership, charity law .....

The groups which belong to BAFM are as diverse as museums are! From the
Friends of the Royal Academy, British Museum Society etc to tiny groups
with only 50 or so members and everything inbetween; nationals,
independents, local authority, University...

I used to be BAFM's Newsletter Editor and I can vouch for the current
officers! They are a really nice bunch of people who will always do
their best to help you. So , whether you are a museum professional or a
volunteer or a Friend and you want to know more here are the contacts:

Hon Secretary: Ann Heeley, The Old Post Office, 17 High Street,
Butleigh, Glastonbury, Somerset BA6 8SU tel 01458 850520 fax 01458
850034 e-mail [log in to unmask]

Membership Secretary: Sally Abram, Prospect House, Main Road, Temple
Cloud, NE Somerset BS39 5DQ tel 01761 453961 e-mail [log in to unmask]

Administrator: Margaret Garbett, Manor Cottages, 25 Winsley,
Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire BA15 2LT tel/fax 01225 723316

I hope that helps. By the way there is also a World Federation of
Friends of Museums (WFFM) which is holding its Congress in Sydney
Australia 13-18 September.  I don't have details of a Website but
perhaps Australian Museum-l members could oblige? Many nations have a
Federation or Association of some sort for Friends groups.

Best wishes, especially to everyone working with Friends and volunteers,

Rosemary Silvester
69 High Kingsdown
Bristol BS2 8EP
tel 0117 926 0990