From:
Larry Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 2010 12:33:55 -0500
Jill,

Right down the road from you is a fabricator who built some donation
boxes for me when I was serving as Director of a museum in your area. He
did a great job fabricating them from clear acrylic. The firm is Select
Plastics in Norwalk, CT. The owner is Tony D'Andrea - I'd speak directly
with him as he is very friendly to museums. The boxes I designed were
mounted on pedestals so they looked similar to the other pedestals and
vitrines in the museum. Access was through the pedestal base and a
simple removable door in the bottom of the donation box. Doing it this
way eliminated any chance of someone trying to pry the box open from the
outside. I think the clear box is an inticement for people to donate and
I like that the guests see the cash - I used to 'seed' the boxes with
some petty cash so they were never empty. As far as preventing "fishing"
I tried some designs with sloped baffles, etc. but they resulted in the
donations getting jammed up, at least in our small acrylic versions of
the boxes. The best way to prevent fishing is keep the slot thin - just
big enough for a quarter to slip through and just wide enough for the
narrow dimension of a bill.

In one case in another museum where we had a problem with security of
the boxes we made the acrylic box a dummy and ran a money chute all the
way through the box and into the pedestal so the actual donation ended
up inside the base, not in the cube at all. We did put a sloped baffle
in the base where it wasn't visible. The cash in the acrylic cube was
put in when the cube was attached to the pedestal and was there only to
attract donations. By the way, put a couple of faux checks in there as
well - surprising how many checks we'd get!

Larry Fisher
Museum Planner and Experience Design Consultant
Bristol, RI
(401)253-5335