Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 2011 09:32:24 +1200
Welcome back to GLOBAL MUSEUM, your award-winning & free web compendium,
read weekly by 8,000 readers in more than 201 countries.

***   "I love reading Global Museum. I look forward to the articles every
week. The information keeps me informed about what is going on in the museum
community and urges me to explore museums and exhibits online that I may
have never known about. Thanks!"  - User Feedback   ***

The international headlines (FOR THE FULL STORY VISIT THE WEBZINE at this
address  http://www.globalmuseum.org  and click on the news links) in this
week's edition include:

**  Iceman Had Bad Teeth
Ötzi the Iceman, the 5,300-year-old mummy found in the Italian Alps 20 years
ago, suffered from cavities, worn teeth and periodontal diseases

**  Tale of two halves reunited after a 360-year separation
The painting by Huang Gongwang, who lived at the turn of the 14th century,
has taken on another meaning, becoming a powerful symbol of how China is
dealing with its past, and emblematic of a growing closeness between
mainland China and its bitter rival, Taiwan

**  More Woes For New Museum
Just weeks before it opens its brand spanking new Museum of Liverpool on the
waterfront, there's reportedly more woe for National Museums Liverpool

****  Global Museum's Annual Donation Appeal ****
We support170,000 Museum Professionals and Followers in 201 countries and
receive no grant or government support from any source.
As one of the very few truly independent news and service providers for the
profession and those with an interest in museums, we help cover our
operating costs through donations. My thanks to those people who have
already made a small contribution -  much appreciated!
So I invite you to make a donation to keep Global Museum 'alive and kicking'
for a further year.
Click
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=FYCUNTUS7PT3N
to learn more and support the site.

**  It's so Surreal... the artist who forged himself
Experts are now certain that the paintings are both Magritte originals, and
believe he faked his own work to raise cash

**  Georgia museum dishes the history of onions
If a museum dedicated to onions sounds rooted in folly, the history behind
the famous Vidalia onion can likely hold its own with other veggie shrines
such as the Idaho Potato Museum, the Red River Valley Sugarbeet Museum in
Minnesota and the tiny Carrot Museum tucked in a Rhode Island
bed-and-breakfast

**  Free Terracotta Warriors iPhone App
You can witness terracotta warriors come to life at the exhibition (for
example, shooting and reloading crossbows) via AR technology, which
superimposes animated 3D objects into the real exhibition gallery space

**  Bronze Age Brain Surgeons
You might shudder at the mere thought of ancient brain surgery, but recent
studies of the practice at Bronze Age sites in Turkey suggest that early
neurosurgeons were surprisingly precise and that a majority of their
patients may have survived

ARE YOU ONE OF THE 687?
Join the Global Museum Social Network - Meet & Make Friends, Share Photos &
Videos, Blog, Use the Forum, Join A Group.
Become one of our first 700 members -  687 have already met online.  Join
Today At  http://globalmuseum.ning.com

**  M Shed Bristol history museum is officially open
The museum will include 3,000 exhibits, drawn from the world class
collection of the city, telling the many thousands of stories of the people
of Bristol, which have been discovered through working with experts and
communities across the city, a process that will continue for the life of
the museum

**  A Billionaire's Eye for Art Shapes Her Singular Museum
The era of the world-class museum built by a single philanthropist in the
tradition of Isabella Stewart Gardner, John Pierpont Morgan Jr. and Gertrude
Vanderbilt Whitney may seem to have passed, but Alice L. Walton is bringing
it back

**  Duchess will visit Alberta site where her grandfather trained pilots
A tiny, normally quiet aerospace museum in Calgary is in a frenzy of
preparation for what it hopes will be a royal visit of a personal nature

**  Daring rhino horn robbery flops
Guards in the Liege natural science museum were alerted to the robbery by a
weird noise a little before closing time on Thursday

TWEET TWEET - Follow Us On Twitter!   http://www.twitter.com/globalmuseum
43,665 News Tweets, 1,789 Followers worldwide and growing fast

**  Lady Gaga's Stinky Meat Dress Heading to a Museum
Lady Gaga's infamous meat dress that she wore for the first time at the 2010
MTV Video Music Awards is going to be immortalized in a new exhibit at the
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum in Cleveland, Ohio

**  Antique thief contrite
The man accused of stealing an antique gold ring from the Frederic Remington
Art Museum last month tried twice to return it before he was arrested on
Monday, according to the museum executive director

**  Renovation of Dutch national museum, home of Rembrandt's 'Night Watch,'
near done
Inside, maze-like corridors have been scrapped in favour of large spaces and
high ceilings, with a central "gallery of honour" restored to its initial
appearance, evoking the vault of a gothic cathedral

**  Plans for Pope Pius XII museum revealed
A leading Italian politician is giving his support to plans for a museum in
Rome to commemorate the memory of the wartime pontiff, Pope Pius XII

Become a FAN -  Join 1,125 of  us who Like Global Museum on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-Museum/129179522574?

**  The World's Weirdest Museums
There's nothing like a visit to a respected cultural institution to foster
the sense that you've spent at least some of your vacation in an enriching
way

**  First museum of world rugby to be established
The Bill McLaren Foundation is leading the project to develop a £4 million
museum in Hawick, Roxburghshire, which will tell the story of rugby and also
hold Mclaren's famous meticulous pre-match notes - or big sheets - and the
substantial archive of matches that he's commented on

**  Japanese Museum Unveils A Giant Globe Made of 10,000 Live-Updating OLED
Panels
"Geo-Cosmos" is made up of 10,362 OLED panels that display
continuously-updating satellite footage of our tiny blue marble,
representing what our planet looks like from space in something close to
realtime

**  Museum uncovers Van Gogh painting of his brother
The Van Gogh Museum said Tuesday its experts now believe one of Vincent van
Gogh's paintings previously thought to be a self-portrait actually depicts
his brother, Theo

@@@@  The Global Museum Daily Tweet. Global Museum's DAILY NEWSPAPER powered
by your museum tweets - Enjoy! http://paper.li/globalmuseum/1288898965

**  Herculaneum sewer sheds light on secrets of Roman life
This unprecedented insight into the diet and health of ancient Romans showed
that they ate a lot of vegetables

**  British Museum named Museum of the Year by Arts Fund
The accolade was awarded to the museum after the success of its History of
the World project which attempted to tell the world's history in 100 objects

**  Cultural Property Risk Analysis
The International Symposium and Workshop on Cultural Property Risk Analysis
will take place in Lisbon on 2011 September 14-16.

**  Adult Art Workshops at Taliesin in July and August
Spring Green, Wisconsin, June, 2011 - Two exceptional art workshops are
currently available and open for registration at Taliesin.

**  Il decoro in tavola. Forme e colori di Guido Andloviz
Two conferences (in Italian) in conjunction with the exhibit Il decoro in
tavola. Forme e colori di Guido Andloviz

All this and more for you at Global Museum - See the latest museum JOBS,
BOOKSHOP, RESOURCES, PODCASTS, HOT JOB TIPS, great people posting their
RESUMES, FORUM, Cheap and reliable WORLD TRAVEL, the GM Social Network,
Museum Online Document Store, Podcasts, Museum Accredited Courses, Products
& Services.

http://www.globalmuseum.org     First published on the Web in 1998 and going
strong!

BLOG READERS  & MUSEUM WEB SITES - Use our  RSS news feed on your site, from
this address: http://www4.wave.co.nz/~jollyroger/GM2/gm.xml