From:
Janice Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:50:44 -0600
While I am loathe to jump into the middle of this fight, I would like to
suggest a few things here:

First, most people, even the most educated amongst us, are not aware of the
restrictions of the Migratory Bird Act, which regulates possession of a
great many species (it is a stretch, but not too much of one, to say that it
covers everything except pigeons and sparrows).

Next, identification of genus and species is something that (generally) only
trained ornithologists, sometimes with the aid of a reference collection,
can do.   When you deal with modified or partial feathers it gets even
harder.

Since I have already deleted all of this thread I cannot vouch for David
Haberstich's exact wording, but I did not get the impression that he
"blamed" the native artist and "excused" Lawrence Small. He did raise an
important issue, namely that to stop the killing ("taking") of regulated
animal species (like the illicit excavation of archaeological remains) we
need to look at what is happening at the beginning of the
collecting/creating process as well as the end user.
The use of alternative materials (or even alternative income sources) is one
possibility that, for better or worse, has become fairly standard with
contemporary Native American art; most of us are resigned (for lack of a
better word) to the fact that the feathers on our art will be painted turkey
or chicken and not hawk, eagle or any other regulated species.

Finally, I think it is not unreasonable to remember that there are some
people involved in this whole "scandal" who have political motivations and
that a like or dislike of Mr. Small's other activities have influenced their
behavior.

Janice Klein
Director, Mitchell Museum of the American Indian
www.mitchellmuseum.org