From:
Abigail Newbold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2010 09:33:25 -0400
Kevin-

I've used Parabolic speakers for a number of different projects at the Cranbrook Art Museum. Our space is a large, tall-ceilinged open plan configuration, and resonant sound travels easily. I've been impressed with the equipment we've used to be able to provide clear, but focused audio.

Most recently I purchased a Soundtube unit (I think it was a 400 model--maybe 600?). The unit ships with a large plexi hemisphere which hangs over the equipment and further shelters the noise. However, the unit I purchased has a warped dome which I sent back for replacement, and discovered in the interim, that the speaker even without the dome, worked almost as well and looked a lot cleaner. My only other comment to consider is that there are more specific hanging height requirements with these units in order for the sound to work well for the viewer.

Best of luck-

-Abby

Abigail Newbold
Preparator
Cranbrook Art Museum
39221 Woodward Avenue
PO Box 801
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48303

T: 248-645-3370
F: 248-645-3324

While the Art Museum galleries are closed for construction, please visit Saarinen House, which is open for tours through October 31.

>>> Kevin Murphy <[log in to unmask]> 8/17/2010 4:25 PM >>>

 Dear List,

For an upcoming exhibition of a contemporary artist, we are showing a film with soundtrack and would like to minimize the transmission of the sound throughout the rest of the gallery.  The artist suggested that we look into using a "sound dome".  I'm wondering if anyone on the list has experience with these for this type of application and could let me know how they work and perhaps recommend a vendor?  The film will be shown in a room approximately 15 x 20 feet, so small groups will be able to view it.

 And, thank you in advance Retired Librarian Barbara Hass, but I have already searched the google for sound domes, and am simply interested in hearing from anyone who has first-hand experience with them.

You may reply to me off list if you wish at [log in to unmask]

Regards,
Kevin Murphy
Bradford and Christine Mishler Associate Curator of American Art
The Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens
San Marino, CA