From:
Jayne Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 08:22:13 -0400
The purpose of these reports is to monitor the condition of the object while it is not in the direct care of the lending institution.  When you receive an object from another institution accompanied by their condition report, you always note any damage or change that is not written or illustrated in the report.  If their object is courriered, you should examine it with the courier present.  If there is no change, that should be noted on the report.  If you notice that the object has shifted in it's packing container while in transit, that needs to be noted with any recommendations you have for repacking.  This should be taken seriously--- any damage or change that occurs to the object will be checked with it's condition report to identify how and where the damage took place.  Also, this will give the lending institution an idea about the inherent stability of the object, (i.e.:  perhaps that ivory bowl shouldn't travel since the crack in it's side has widened), or tips on modifying their packing methods.

As a bonus, the more conscientious you are about checking these reports, the more responsible your museum looks as a venue for other's valuable objects!

Jayne Holt
Paper conservator
National Museum of Natural History

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/17/01 07:35PM >>>
Hello All,

I am a museum studies student. I am interested in comments or ideas on what
to put on a incoming/outgoing condition report for loans from other
institutions to my institution. How detailed should a condition report get?
Thanks for your comments, and I have enjoyed reading everyones comments in
the past week.

Smile,

Jane Duong
AIM:Yelofuzzz