From:
Brenda Weatherston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 13:49:20 -0700
Please excuse cross-postings.

This is a reminder of the approaching early registration deadline for
"Museums at the Crossroads" with renowned museum writer and thinker, Stephen
Weil, Emeritus Senior Scholar with the Smithsonian Center for Education and
Museum Studies.

Brenda Weatherston, Program Coordinator

Museums at the Crossroads
September 18-23 with Stephen Weil

Among museums, many old ideas are bankrupt. Museums around the world are
experiencing a profound need to redefine their relationships with
communities, funders, donors, academia and one another. This intensive
workshop probes the roots of this situation and challenges you to reexamine
the fundamental purposes of museums as a basis for refining institutional
goals, structures and future directions. Stephen E. Weil draws on his
extensive distinguished background as a museum executive, writer, teacher,
and thinker to facilitate your exploration of:

* improving peoples' lives as the core purpose of museums
* the fundamental role of community in defining the museum's "bottom line"
* the impacts of shifting support
* lessons from business and other not-for-profit organizations
* issues of governance
* leadership and management
* measuring impacts
* defining success
* ethics and professionalism

Particiants in this course should bring professional experience in museums
and a willingness to rethink some basic beliefs about their role and
relationships.

Instructor: Stephen Weil is the Emeritus Senior Scholar with the Center for
Education and Museum Studies at the Smithsonian Institution. His background
in law, his experience as Deputy Director of the Hirshhorn Museum and
Sculpture Garden, and his extensive involvement as a consultant to a range
of professional agencies and activities, provide a foundation for his
reflections on the changing nature of museums in contemporary society. He is
the author of A Cabinet of Curiosities: Inquiries into Museums and Their
Prospects, Rethinking the Museum, and Beauty and the Beasts: On Museums,
Art, the Law, and the Market and numerous journal articles and conference
presentations.

Comments from past participants:
"I truly valued the inquiring nature of the course, the amazing experience
of the instructor, and his ability to stimulate discussion."

"I thoroughly enjoyed it -- it has really honed and enhanced my skills."

"Well organized, stimulating topics, excellent exercise and team building,
tremendous enhancement to professional knowledge and skills."

"I valued the professionalism & inspiration of the presenter. Well
organised, the interaction with other participants is very valuable."

"The seminar was really great-one of the best museum programs I've ever
attended, and such a fine group to be with! Stephen is terrific in the
manner he organized and presented the week. I am truly pleased to have been
a participant."

"Highly recommended."

"Excellent instructor."

"It was exceptional."

Dates: September 18-23, 2000

Please register by: August 18

Fee: $589 (Canadian funds, credit or non-credit options)

Travel: Victoria is easily accessible from Seattle and Vancouver

Accommodation: Program staff are pleased to provide information on local
B&B, hotel, and on-campus options  -- some options as low as $25 CAD/night!

For more information, please contact:

Joy Davis, Program Director
Cultural Resource Management Program
Division of Continuing Studies, University of Victoria
Phone 250-721-8462
FAX 250-721-8774
E-mail  [log in to unmask]
Visit our website! www.uvcs.uvic.ca/crmp
To receive e-mail updates, please e-mail [log in to unmask]