From:
Jeanette Spencer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 09:31:57 EST
AIC Announces Speakers for its 27th Annual Meeting
St. Louis, Missouri
June 7-13, 1999

	The 27th Annual Meeting of the American Institute for Conservation of
Historic and Artistic Works (AIC) will be held June 7-13, 1999 at the Adams
Mark Hotel in St. Louis, Missouri. The general session will focus on two
topics: "The Costs of Conserving Our Cultural Heritage: Can We Afford It?" and
"Used or Misused: The Responsible Preservation of Functional Cultural Objects
Still In Use."

	The general session will commence on the morning of Wednesday, June 9 with
Keynote Speaker, MAUREEN A. FARROW, Executive Vice President and Director of
Economics and Equity Strategy, of Loewen, Ondaatje, McCutcheon Limited,
Toronto, Canada, with her presentation "Doing More With Less: An Economic
Perspective."  The remainder of Wednesday, June 9 will be dedicated to the
topic "The Costs of Conserving Our Cultural Heritage: Can We Afford It?"  The
day's program will feature:

--	"Beyond the Operating Budget: Developing Support for Preservation"
INGE-LISE ECKMANN, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, San Francisco, CA

--	"For Francs or for France: Public Policy in the Conservation of Cultural
Property" JOSE ORRACA, Photograph Conservator in Private Practice, Kent, CT

--	"The Costs of Conserving Our Cultural Heritage: The Shelburne
Deaccessioning and Collections Care Endowment"
BRIAN ALEXANDER, Shelburne Museum, Shelburne, VT

--	"An Alternative Funding Mechanism for the Restoration of Cultural Heritage"
ROSANNA KUON, Museo Padro d'Osma, Lima, Peru

--	"The Preservation of Vermont's Cultural Heritage"
MJ DAVIS, Vermont Museum and Gallery Alliance, Lyndon Center, VT

--	"Objects of Desire: Acquisition, Loan and Exhibition Strategies at the
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
PAMELA HATCHFIELD and SUSANNE GÄNSICKE, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, MA

--	"Serving Other Institutions: A New Approach to Creating Staff Positions at
the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation"
F. CAREY HOWLETT and DAVID BLANCHFIELD, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation,
Williamsburg, VA

--	"Taking Charge: Forging a Preservation Plan and a Conservation Program for
a Remote Regional Museum.  A Study in Cooperation"
RALPH WIEGANDT, Rochester Museum and Science Center, Rochester, NY and
CAROLINE WELSH, The Adirondack Museum, Blue Mountain Lake, NY

--	"Making Conservation Pay Its Way: The Business Experience of the Northeast
Document Conservation Center"
ANN RUSSELL, Northeast Document Conservation Center, Andover, MA

--	"The Cost of Conservation Research" (Panel Discussion sponsored by Research
& Technical Studies Subgroup)
MODERATOR: CHANDRA REEDY, University of Delaware, Newark, DE.
PANEL: MARTIN BURKE, National Park Service, Harpers Ferry, WV; STEPHEN CALLAN,
Polymer Testing of St. Louis, St. Louis, MO; JAMES MARTIN, Williamstown Art
Conservation Center, Williamstown, MA; ALISON MURRAY, Queen's University,
Kingston, Canada; RICHARD NEWMAN, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, MA

	On Thursday, June 10 the general session will include presentations on both
"The Costs of Conserving Our Cultural Heritage: Can We Afford It?" and "Used
or Misused: The Responsible Preservation of Functional Cultural Objects Still
In Use."  Thursday's program will feature:

--	"Unjust Compensation: A Comparative Study of Conservator Salaries and Cost
of Living Around the World"
ANTON RAJER, Conservator in Private Practice, Madison, WI
--	"The Cost of Preserving Your Health While Preserving Our Cultural Heritage:
Can You Afford Not to Do It?"
G. EDWARD BURROUGHS, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Centers
for Disease Control and Prevention Health, Cincinnati, OH

--	"Conversion of a Convict-Built Warehouse into a Maritime Museum and
Conservation Laboratory: The Balance Between Forces of Decay, Aesthetics, and
Pragmatism"
 IAN D. MACLEOD and DAVID GILROY, Western Australian Museum, Fremantle,
Australia

--	"Keep Taking the Tablets -- or a Hypochondriac's Attitude to the
Conservation of Cuneiform Documents"
ANDREW ODDY, The British Museum, London, England

--	"Involving Volunteer Community Artisans in the Conservation of a Historic
Altar Screen at a Church in Arroyo Seco"
CLAIRE MUNZENRIDER, Museum of New Mexico, Santa Fe, NM

--	"Changing Treatment in Response to Changing Use: Observing the Interplay of
Reading Modes and Book Conservation Practice"
GARY FROST, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX

--	"The Conservation of Historical Organs: Can You Finish by Sunday?"
JOHN R. WATSON, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, Williamsburg, VA

	Sessions will be conducted by AIC specialty groups (Architecture, Books &
Paper, Objects, Electronic Media, Paintings, Photographic Materials, Research
& Technical Studies, Textiles, Wooden Artifacts, and Conservators in Private
Practice) the balance of the week on current topics of interest in their
respective fields.  Other meeting offerings include: workshops and poster
sessions, an exhibit hall featuring conservation suppliers June 10-12, and
tours and workshops held at museums and sites throughout the St. Louis metro
area.

	For full program details and registration materials, information about
becoming an exhibitor or other questions about the annual meeting, please
contact the AIC office:

American Institute for Conservation
of Historic and Artistic Works (AIC)
1717 K Street NW
Suite 301
Washington, DC 20006
Phone: (202) 452-9545
Fax: (202) 452-9328
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Web site: http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/aic/

	Be sure to visit our Web site regularly for updated conference information!