From:
"B.Craig" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 1994 13:29:46 +0930
I have a problem; perhaps someone out there can help. Back in 1982,
whilst I was Curator of Anthropology at the National Museum in Papua New
Guinea, I was sent a photocopy of an article that referred to charges by the
NY State Attorney-General against a Curator at the Brooklyn Museum that
alleged that he was involved in facilitating one of the members of the Board
selling pieces from his collection through dealers to the Museum and
getting pieces for the Board member's collection from the Museum through
dealers. Similar deaccessioning irregularities were alleged for the Museum
of the American Indian and a quote was included, apparently from an
interview with Dr Edmund Carpenter (previously on the Board of the MAI).
The person who sent the photocopy had written on it 'Southern Review,
July 1981' and the page numbers, as I recall, were around 10-13. I appear
to have left the article in PNG but on a return trip was unable to find it in
the files. I looked up 'Southern Review' (one here in Adelaide; another out
of Baton Rouge) but neither carry the article. I contacted the person who
sent me the copy and she can't find her copy either. I wrote Carpenter but
he does not know of that particular article. I contacted the NY State Library
and although they have suggested some articles on that subject, they do
not include this particular one. On a hunch I checked 'Southern Review of
Administration' but no luck. Does this article ring a bell with anyone? If so,
please let me know full reference, including title and author. I want to refer
to it in my PhD thesis, due for completion March 31st. Many thanks in
anticipation.....  Barry Craig (Anthropology, South Australian Museum).