From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 10:20:00 EDT
In a message dated Fri, 4 Aug 2000  8:25:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "S. Nash" <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Museum educator for small history museum with annual visitation of about
>10,000 people. Position includes many aspects not related to educator job.
>
>We pay her $22,900 a year and great benefits including very comprehensive
>medical, dental and vision, as well as 16 vacation days,10 sick days and
>every holiday.
>
>She is looking for more cash, claims she cannot live in the Mid-Atlantic
>urban area (not DC) for that amount.
>
>Do you think she is right, and if so, what is the right wage?

How much to teachers with the same amount of education and experience make in your area? That's a good place to start.

But let's do some math:

$22K a year breaks down to about $1800/month before taxes. We'll chop off about 1/3 of that in taxes to leave her with around $1200.

- Subtract another $500 in rent and you're down to $700. - Subtract another $300 for food, electric and water and other utilities and you're down to $400.
- Another $100 or so in car insurance and that's $300 left over.
- Gas is pricey too so we'll subtract another $100 to cover gas and car maintenance. That leaves only $200.
- Heaven forbid she has student loan debt or a car payment which would wipe out that $200.

It's liveable, but barely. Even with lower rent and living on Ramen noodles, would only save you a couple of humdred a month, which like someone else pointed out, really isn't enough to do anything with like get a new/used car or go back to school part time. One car repair could wipe out months worth of savings.

She's probably not asking for more money because she's greedy; she's probably asking for it so she would have a little more breathing room each month and be able to go out to dinner once in a while without feeling like she has to save up for months.

As for if she's single or not, that shouldn't be a factor. People should get paid the same regardless of marital or dependant status else you're setting yourself up for a BIG lawsuit. Your benefits are nice but what's the use of vacation days if you can't afford to go anywhere?

Deb