From:
Michael McColgin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 1996 11:37:36 -0700
Christopher Whittle wondered:
>Why are we still using an antiquated technology that creates more
>problems than it solves.  Microfilm is an optometrist's dream- it is a
>conspiracy to make people go blind.
>
>Is there some reason that digital archival storage is not part of this
>workshop?  Not only do you get the material archived, it is not prone to
>loss or scratching like microfilm, and it is readily searchable.

Basically, silver halide microfilm, if processed and stored properly, is
considered archival.  Digital is not, in spite of what some vendors may
say.  Digital is great for access, but not for preservation.

Michael McColgin                               Phone: (602) 542- 4159
Preservation Officer                            Fax: (602) 542- 4402
Arizona State Archives                      Email: [log in to unmask]
1700 West Washington                      Smoke Signal: 0 oo 000 o0o0
Phoenix, AZ  85007

                   Conservators make it last longer.