From:
Robert Panzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 11:36:41 -0400
As to why you received the call, if I had to make a guess - and presuming
the caller is the legitimate copyright holder - the caller may want to know
where you obtained the image because the copy (original?) you have may not
be authorized and the caller would maybe like to track down the source.  Of
course, there are other possible reason for the call.

Copyright in creative works such as, photography and fine art, is typically
owned by the creator or the creator's heirs, not the owner of the object,
especially an object like a photo, which usually exists in multiples (If
there are 20 photo prints owned by 20 different people, how could they all
have copyright since each picture is the same as the others?).  One must
proceed carefully when receiving a document from an owner of an
image(presuming the owner is not the creator or an heir) in which copyrights
are transferred.  Many, if not most owners, are unfamiliar with copyright
law and presume that the own the copyright if they own the object.  It might
be wise to call the person who gave or sold the photo to your museum, inform
them of the call you received and inquire how they obtained the copyright.

VAGA, of which I am the executive director, is a copyright collective
representing reproduction rights for a few thousand artists and estates of
artists worldwide.

Sincerely,

Robert Panzer
VAGA (Visual Artists and Galleries Association)
350 Fifth Avenue
Suite 6305
New York, NY  10118
Tel: 212 736 6666