From:
"Robert T. Handy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 15:55:18 -0500
But if our professional association were to create artificial shortages by
"licensing" people or making us get "certified" we might cut out some of
those who will work for any price and get our own salaries up some.  Why
don't museuams pay as well as other industries.  We are, to a certain
degree, part of the entertainment industry.  Can't we hype what we do to
make it seem as important as a football or basketball game and thus worth
$50.00 a ticket to get in.

Before anybody climbs on me for being absurd, disregard the latter point as
just that.  But there is a better place between what we get and what they
get that we might reach by not resigning ourselves to mediocrity.  Look
what school teachers have done in some parts of the country.  They are
finally in a better place and, thanks to certain things happening around
the country and the world, they are going to be in a much better place in
the not too distant future.  We kind of fall into that group.  We just
haven't organized yet.

------
Robert Handy
Brazoria County Historical Museum