From:
Kathryn Desulis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 1997 10:07:30 +0000
I've taken several museum studies courses (although I don't have an
M.A. in Museum Studies) and have found them to be valuable in giving
me a theoretical background for WHY museums do various things.  The
classes have also exposed me to various areas of museum work and what
is involved with each.

I've also worked in several areas of museums, and have to admit that
I learned far more about doing a job from actually doing it
than from a class project or reading about it.  But, it was nice
to have the background from my classes for how each part fits into
the whole scheme of the museum.  Of course, a good
Supervisor/Director will convey this to you anyway, right?

I have to agree with Julia Moore's point on business and
administration classes as being valuable.  I do have a masters in
non-profit management (achieved while working FT), and have
found that what I learned in those classes I've been able to use
DIRECTLY in my work.  While museum studies classes teach
more background & concepts, my management classes taught me
applications.  All my classes had group projects, so I was forced
to learn deadlines and working with other people, one of those
"fuzzy" benefits I got from the program.  Plus, business
does have a different viewpoint than most non-profits, so I felt I
learned how to value team-building, strategic planning, financial
planning, etc.

Of course, everything I've learned in all my classes, I could
have gotten by reading up on the subject and talking with others, but
for me, I needed the discipline of classes, assignments, and student
interaction to keep me focused.

Hope this rambling is helpful!

Kate Desulis
The Morton Arboretum