From:
Rebecca Fitzgerald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 2005 15:15:37 -0400
Just clarification...the separation of church and state as practiced today
is NOT mandated by our constitution. Instead it has evolved, mainly through
the interpretation by our courts - for better or worse. The wording of the
first amendment is: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment
of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the
freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to
assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

It is also important to understand what "born again" means before you decide
who was and wasn't. Those who are born again have simply confessed their
sins, professed their belief that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, who was
crucified for their sins, and then pledge to follow Christ's teachings
through Bible study and prayer as a life plan. (This is obviously a
seriously condensed explanation, but these are the basic requirements.)

As such, ALL Christians (Catholic, Episcopal, Methodists, Presbyterian,
Baptist, Quaker and the zillion other brands) are "born again". I'm sure
you're talking about dramatic public displays, but that's not necessarily
the case. And don't forget that Roger Williams (founder of Rhode Island) was
an Anabaptist leader, which is DEFINITELY a "born again" group.

The statement below that "we are slowly edging towards becoming the
Christian equivalent of the fundamentalist Muslim state" is really
irresponsible - and I (and I'm sure many others) on this list are offended
by it. We are not going to solve the evolution/ID/creationism issue in this
forum. We are all somehow affiliated with museums, and it is up to the
museums' boards of directors to determine how the issue plays out in our
institutions. So, I suggest that future discussion of this topic be
continued off list, unless there is actually a real query for the group that
is somehow related to this topic.

Becky Fitzgerald
Executive Director
Susquehanna Museum