From:
Peter Welsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 13:08:14 -0500
Heard Museum chief leaving
Resigns to take Maryland job

By Richard Nilsen
The Arizona Republic
April 2, 1999

The Heard Museum is losing its director just after doubling its size.

Martin Sullivan, who has led the museum since 1990, will resign effective
May 30 to take over as head of Historic St. Mary's City in Maryland.

  Sullivan most recently saw the Heard through an $18.1 million expansion
and renovation, which was completed in February.

  "It was a very difficult decision to leave the Heard Museum after nine
years as director," said Sullivan, 55. "I have enjoyed working with the
museum and am tremendously proud and fond of the people who make the Heard
so great. But Historic St. Mary's City offers new opportunities for
professional growth."

  Sullivan will become chief executive officer of the historic landmark and
outdoor history museum. He also will be a senior officer of St. Mary's
College of Maryland, a public honors college, where he will teach classes.

  "This is not about being fatigued or about dissatisfaction," Sullivan
said, "but this seemed like a once-in-a-lifetime chance."

  E. Daniel Albrecht, president of the Heard Museum board of trustees, said
the board is disappointed to see Sullivan go.

  "He has done a wonderful job at the Heard and taken us to a plateau we
never imagined we'd reach," Albrecht said.

  "The standard he has set at the Heard makes it a real task to find someone
to fill his shoes. And as a result of his leadership, we have been able to
provide better service both to the residents of the city and to the Native
American community."

  Sullivan's colleague, Phoenix Art Museum Director Jim Ballinger, called
Sullivan's leaving a loss. "All one has to do is drive up to the Heard, now
that it is open, and see what we're losing," he said.

  Sullivan will assist in the search for his successor. A search committee
has been formed.