From:
Ron Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 10:03:01 -0400
Right on , Mr White. !!     As a native Baltimorean I feel the collapse of the
City Life Museums deeply, and I can only second your motion to have
candid reportage about the purely political approach to the cultural
community taken by the city administration.   It is sadly consistent with
Baltimore's most public statement --  a sparkling harbor place behind
which is a  ghost town of abandoned buildings in old down town and a
near bankrupt city bureaucracy.   The least the museum press can do is
tell the full story.

>>> Matthew White <[log in to unmask]> 06/24/97 08:57pm >>>
Dale Jones 6/24/97 11:43 AM [log in to unmask]

>A sad event in the museum world happened  Friday June 20 in
Baltimore.
>The Baltimore City Life Museums, and all the sites it operates, closed.
>
>Fourteen months after opening a new $8.3 million facility and after a
>number of staff reductions, the system collapsed, taking down with it
the
>Peale Museum, 1840 House, H.L. Mencken House, Carroll Mansion, Shot
>Tower, Center for Urban Archaeology, Brewers' Park, and ultimately
100
>full and part-time people.
>
>A very disturbing occurrence.

Dale,

Thanks for reporting an even I was attempting to report to the list.  My
biggest question is why, in an article just a couple of issues ago, did
_Museum News_  paint such a rosy picture of Baltimore museum
community.
Sure we have had a couple of high profile museums open lately and a
new
one on the way, but why didn't they mention how strapped for funds the
museums that already exist are?  The USF Constellation needs 20 million
for repairs or the Navy will take it back.   It also made our Mayor look
like a bosom buddy of the cultural community by only highlighting those
institutions that were born or grew during his reign. Why did it not
mention his pathetic attempt at a Bicentennial Celebration and the
hundreds of thousands of dollars he has cut from all museum support
including to such treasures as the Walter's Art Gallery and the Baltimore
Museum of Art.   I know of no museum, art, or heritage professional in
town that thought this article even came near to reporting any side to
this issue than the one our present Mayor would like potential tourists
to hear.

Is Baltimore alone?  Has anyone else noticed this tendency in MN and
other AAM publications and forums?  When I go to meetings,
conferences,
and symposia here and around the country I have heard similar stories.
Why doesn't Museum News cover these issues with more perspective
and
thought?

Once again I fear I let my emotions run a little high, but it angers me
when I consider that the oldest municipal museum and 8 others are
closed
(and all of their artifacts, photographs, maps, and documents completely
inaccessible) while _Museum News_ prints such fluff on the subject.
Would well balanced stories be too much to ask?

These opinions are mine alone and do not represent the official views of
my institution.

Matthew A. White
Director of Education and Internship Coordinator
Baltimore Museum of Industry
1415 Key Highway
Baltimore, MD 21230
(410)727-4808