Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 08:26:16 -0600
 I am in agreement with those of you who say get an M.A., volunteer, check
lots of websites, and of course it helps if you know people.   And by the
way, volunteering/interning is a great way to get to know people.  It's not
like they have to know your parents and grandparents.  I realize we all have
to get paid for our work (I certainly do), but even one afternoon a week is
all you need to get your foot in the door.

That said, those of you in places like New York and Seattle need to remember
the cardinal rule of real estate: location, location, location. If you are
willing and able to relocate, you have a much wider range of opportunities
available to you.  If not, well, you don't get to complain so much if you
ask me.  There are hundreds of qualified applicants for every job in New
York City, I bet. Try to be flexible and consider the possibility that you
may be able to breathe the air elsewhere.  Like somewhere where there aren't
so many applicants but is a nice place to live nevertheless.

Just a suggestion.

Jill R. Chancey, Curator
Lauren Rogers Museum of Art
Laurel, MS