From:
Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 1996 13:42:38 +0000
Re expansion in Uk museums - as usual the Economist is living in the
wrong century (or at least the wrong decade).

Yes, there are new openings still in the UK - though at only about a
quarter of the level of 15 years ago.  Even more telling, the Museums
Association's monitoring for the Museums Yearbook indicates that for past
3/4 years new openings have been fully offset - at least in number terms
- by closures.

I am just back from Scotland where a massive reorganisation of local
government by central government (forced through without any consultation
on the say-so of the Secretary of State for Scotland) coupled with at
least a 10% under-funding of the new system is threatening the survival
of literally hundreds of local authority and grant-aided cultural
institutions including museums as from the reorganisation date of 1 April
1996, and similar reorgansiations are to take place on the same
date in Wales, and progressively (totally wrong word, I know) from April
1996 and the two subsequent years over large areas of England.

Patrick Boylan