From:
Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 17:11:22 +0100
Dear Marina:

This may help those paying the money, but it doesn't deal with the
extremely high fees many banks charge those receiving such cheques for
paying in foreign cheques. Some European banks are reported to charge a
minimum of US. $50 or even $80 for paying a foreign cheque into the bank
accounts of their own clients.

Certainly when I was on the Executive Council of the International Council
of Museums (ICOM) a few years ago we had to abandon all mail order sales
of ICOM publications from the Secretariat and switch to bookshop sales
agencies because just about everything we published for sale was priced
at less than the $25 minimum paying-in fee charged by the bank for
crediting such foreign payments - even if these were denominated in French
francs - so that all cheques for such payments were literally worthless.

Patrick Boylan