From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 May 2003 17:37:18 -0700
--- "James F. Johnson" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> It occured to me that some people may be perceiving this as
> 'entertainment' and 'theatre' regardless of the historical content. Some
> 17th to 20th century 'Ren Faire' so to speak, or some theme park. It may
> be that those who trangress on personal space and property are not
> getting that this entire event is _primarily_ for the sake of the
> reenactors and not as a performance for the public, who reencactors
> might see more as invited guests.

I'll disagree that reenactments are primarily for reenactors. While there are
some reenacting events that are closed to the general public and some
reenactors who just like "playing dress up" or "acting", a lot of reenactors,
my groups included, see themselves primarily as educators for the public. I
tend to see us as "living exhibits". We bring an aspect of a historic site or
event that you just can't get with static exhibits and existing structures.

I try to remind the public that we are people too, not mannequins or a hands-on
museum. You wouldn't go up to someone on the street and poke at their clothes,
don't do it to us. We'll gladly explain what we are wearing if asked. I also
have to keep people out of private tents that are tied up. You'd think that
they would look in the one that was actually open for display but no, untying
tent flaps must present a special challenge that some people just can't resist.

It all goes back to one of my mantras - Never underestimate the stupidity of
the general public. :)

Deb