From:
Marielle Fortier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2007 06:32:38 -0500
I really like Rule #1...everybody who sees the wine in the collection all
want me to open if for them. One of our contractors pulled out a corkscrew!
lol

Thanks for all of the responses.  I think we have decided that for now we
will store the bottles alone, on a bottom shelf, contained in case of spills
and cleary marked.  I have a good feeling that if I have yet to knock over
the Czec cut glass vase that the wine bottles will do just fine!!!  LOL

**********************
Marielle Fortier
Museum Registrar
Norwich University Museum
Northfield, Vermont
**********************

>From: Pamela Silvestri <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Wine bottle storage
>Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 05:41:43 EST
>

>In a message dated 1/12/2007 1:30:09 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
>[log in to unmask] writes:
>

>Perhaps we could convince David Lewis to try a  sample?
>
>--------
>
>Oh - shessh -- I make one comment about  overindulgence, and now all of a
>sudden I get nominated "official  taste-tester" . . . hehehe.
>
>While I'm not a huge object-weniee,  I do seem to remember learning in my
>materials and collections handling class  that Rule #1 was, "don't eat the
>artifacts"  (Yes-siree, those two years  spent getting my master's from
>Cooperstown
>Graduate Program really paid  off.   LOL)
>

>Besides,  . . . . Passing the bottle to  my left . . . . I think Dave (a
>professional conservator) is FAR more  qualified to assess the "age" and
>"condition" of the objects than I  am.
>

>lol I agree with Rule #1, if course. The only time I came close to breaking
>this rule..years ago (at another museum) we were identifying, cataloguing,
>creating condition reports and re-housing artifacts of a collection from
>the
>Yucatan Peninsula. These were objects that had been collected during  the
>1920's-30's as part of a field study. A student employee informed me that
>she was
>going to leave a botanical sample in it's original container (glass
>jar/metal
>lid) because she couldn't remove the rusted cover.
>
>I was about to tell her to that would be fine for the time being -to just
>note this but I decided to examine the jar first. It had a label on it
>which
>basically read, "there is no name for this plant, but Mayan woman use  this
>lose weight". At which time I made a futile attempt to open this  jar.
>
>Other than that - well the other day I was setting up mouse traps in the
>museum and licking peanutbutter from my fingers as I was going along.
>Normally,
>I wouldn't do this but I hadn't eaten all day! This too doesn't exactly
>count
>as breaking Rule #1!
>
>Pam
>

>Pamela Silvestri, Volunteer Assistant Museum  Director
>Northeast States Civilian Conservation Corps Museum
>Shenipsit  State Forest Headquarters
>166 Chestnut Hill Road
>Stafford Springs,  Connecticut 06076
>Telephone: (860) 684-3430
>e-mail: [log in to unmask]  or

>Important Subscriber Information:
>
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
>message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should
>read "help" (without the quotes).

>[log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "Signoff
>Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Communicate instantly! Use your Hotmail address to sign into Windows Live
Messenger now. http://get.live.com/messenger/overview