Date:
Mon, 5 May 2003 09:16:46 -0500
Good catch!  Austen's precision regarding such matters is notorious.

Jane Austen, of course, would've assumed that Mr. Darcy traveled in a
chaise-and-four - he would never travel with less than 4 horses, in the most
expeditious manner.  So our inquirer should probably adjust for class: a man
of wealth and distinction, with a chaise-and-four, might go 50 miles in half
a day.  Traveling post with 2 horses would be a slower, more economical
means of travel.  Your farmer taking a cart to market with a donkey, even
slower.

Jill R. Chancey, Curator
Lauren Rogers Museum of Art
Laurel, MS