From:
Joan Schneider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 10:09:48 -0700
Hi Beth-
I am not a participant, but recently heard about a spectacular pilot
program between third-grade classes at Rosa Parks Elementary School in San
Diego, CA. and four museums in Balboa Park; the project was called "School
in the Park."  It sounds just like the information you want to collect.  I
suggest that you get in touch with Rosa Parks Elementary and find out who
the team leader is (was).  I understand the program was so successful that
it will be expanded this coming year.  Of course, not every school district
has the ideal situation of so many different museums in one beautiful park!
 The reading scores of the students improved tremendously and there were
other benefits too.  I could look up the name of the presenter, if you
cannot find a contact at Rosa Parks.  Please put me on your distribution
list when you finish your project.  By the way, actual curriculum was
carried out in the museums for a week at a time on a rotating basis, with
museum educators participating heavily.

Good luck.
Joan

Joan S. Schneider, Ph.D.
Associate Director
UC Riverside Western Center Administrative Office
1160 University Avenue
Riverside, CA 92521
(909) 787-3517
FAX (909)-787-5934