From:
Janice Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2006 12:30:11 -0500
We have "touching tables" in each of our galleries that includes objects and
raw materials relevant to each exhibit area (Woodlands, Plains, Navajo,
Pueblo, Northwest Coast).  These are permanently on display, but are also
used as part of our school tours.   We also have a corn-grinding area, a
hands-on half-sized wigwam with birchbark containers, snowshoes, tobaggan,
etc., Native American games table and two tipi models that can be put
together.   They all get a lot of use from all of our visitors (I used to
say that they were for children and then consistently got the response from
our older visitors "and ADULTS too!").   My goal is to upgrade our
interpretative materials for each of these so that visitors can get as much
"good" information from the tables with a guide or without one.

janice

Janice Klein
Director, Mitchell Museum of the American Indian
www.mitchellmuseum.org