Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 07:42:05 -0600
[note: this is cross-posted from TAXACOM where it appeared 12/31/97]

The Biodiversity Group at the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia
seeks an information manager. The Academy's natural history collections
total more than 20 million specimens, about one quarter of which have
been computerized. About 700,000 collection records are currently
maintained in several database systems representing malacology,
invertebrate paleontology, and general invertebrates (Paradox/DOS),
entomology (FileMaker Pro/Macintosh), ornithology (FoxPro/DOS),
ichthyology and herpetology (MUSE), and diatoms and frozen tissues
(Access/Windows). We plan to integrate our databases in a single
cross-platform application.

Duties of the information manager will include:

Guiding our choice of software for integrating our databases;
Implementing normalized data structures in a PC/Macintosh LAN environment;
Merging databases (including sound and image files) across disciplines;
Designing and producing user interfaces;
Ensuring security and integrity of data;
Teaching curatorial staff to use database applications;
Managing Internet servers currently running LINUX;
Making collections data available via WWW;
Coordinating with GIS lab based in Academy's Environmental Group;
Coordinating with Biodiversity Group imaging center.

Requirements:

Minimum MS/BS in computer science or MS in biology or geology;
Experience in curation of natural history collections;
Knowledge of html and Internet database development, e.g., CGI scripting

Send cover letter, resume, and the names of three references to Dr. Gary
Rosenberg at the address below. Applications may be submitted
electronically.

Deadline for applications (revised):  February 2, 1998
Starting date: March 1998