From:
Harry Needham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 13:40:51 -0500
Ah, Sharon, you've caught me out! I was forgetting about co-op programs.
You're right, in the sense that they help to give people markeatble
experience. However, the tradeoff is that there tends to be less academic
content in the overall program. Sometimes (computer science, for example)
this is probably a good thing; in other cases, it may not be. I am afraid I
have no personal experience in co-op programs and should probably keep my
mouth shut. However, co-op programs DO have one very useful advantage - that
of showcasing participants to potential employers and, given the current job
market and the difficulties new graduates face in finding jobs, that can be
one HELL of an advantage.

Harry Needham
Special Advisor - Programme Development
Canadian War Museum
330 Sussex Drive,
Ottawa, Canada
K1A 0M8
Voice: (819) 776-8612  Fax (819) 776-8623
Email: [log in to unmask]