From:
Laura Mahoney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 1997 15:18:58 -0500
The Smithsonian Institution has a similar hiring process for both Federal
and Non-Federal positions.  All applications have to go through Human
Resources and applicants have to meet specific education and
experience levels even to be considered for professional positions.
Also, due to having a Human Resources office, I have learned that
having contacts at the Smithsonian through internships, etc. doesn't
guarantee you a job and/or a promotion.

Laura Mahoney
Office of Sponsored Projects
Smithsonian Institution

>>> Christine Mouw <[log in to unmask]> 01/08/97
03:15pm >>>
Mr. Dill makes a good point about bureaucracy in government jobs and
required qualifications.  If I hadn't had an MA, I wouldn't have even been
considered for my current position.

In the U.S. Federal Government all of the same restrictions apply that Mr.
Dill lists below, but additionally, the Director and/or
Curator never even get to browse through the hundreds of applicants
who apply for a position to evaluate whom would be right for the
position.  The applications go to a Federal personnel office (in our case
St. Louis) and they choose the three "best" candidates whose
applications fit the description.  These three are then forwarded to the
museum and the staff chooses from them.

Because of the way the job descriptions are written in the U.S.
government, a Federal employee without a degree *cannot* advance
beyond a certain point.  I know there hard working souls out there who
do great work but are stuck at low pay levels because they don't have
college or graduate degrees--even though they have 20 years of
experience.