From:
Dr H La Rue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 1997 20:53:47 +0000
>Hello.
>
>I am currently doing research regarding the theory behind museum, archive
>or gallery web-sites.
>
>I was wondering if you would respond to the following survey questions.  If
>a question does not apply, or you would rather not answer, please feel free
>to modify it or ignore it.   Also, if you are aware of similar research,
>please let me know.
>
>Please respond to me directly at <[log in to unmask]>.
>

>Does your institution have a web-site?
Yes

>If not, why?  Is it a priority?  How do you think it will benefit your
>institution?
>
>If yes, what was the rationale behind the creation of your web site?
access

>Was any specific theory consulted in the process (eg. learning,
>communication, marketing)?

>Does the web site reflect the mandate of the institution?

yes

>What is the general purpose of the site?

information

>Has the purpose evolved?

through time yes of course

>Is there a target audience?

academic and special interest

>Has any visitor research been done to see who is visiting the web site?  If
>not, is any planned?

no, yes if we can

>Was a committee formed to create the site?  If this so,  did the committee
>include representation from curatorial, education,  programming and
>marketing departments?  Were any additional departments consulted?

Yes in the case of one of my institutions, no in the case of the other as
there are only two of us!

>Was a department created to manage the site or does its management fall
>under the control of an existing department?  If yes, which department?  If
>it is managed by a committee, is it a permanent standing committee?

For the one with the committee we are all involved, for the other no change

>Do you have an on-line gift shop or means of ordering museum products such
>as catalogues and other publications?

yes

>How do you feel about "virtual tours" versus the "real-life" visit?

good and imaginative idea

>Can you foresee any other uses for such technology? (eg: wider access to
>collections information or publications)

Of course!

>Please feel free to elaborate on any of these points and include some of
>your personal feelings and/or the general feeling of the success or failure
>of your web site.

Sorry I forgot I had not sent this back....

Regards,

Dr H La Rue
Pitt Rivers Museum
University of Oxford