From:
Eric Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:00:47 -0400
Art, I agree with everything you said below about the way science should go
about testing the hypothesis of alien involvement and should address
testable hypotheses raised by ID, and that all indications point to natural
processes as being sufficient to explain life on earth as we know it.

And I for one am certainly not asking science to investigate the
metaphysical (nor was Tim, as he just explained).  What I am doing is trying
to make the case that we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
As I understand it, IDers are looking at certain natural phenomena--DNA,
ordered systems, etc.--and are positing a supernatural cause, and it is my
belief that scientists (and society in general) might profit from looking at
those same phenomena and working up their own (presumably natural)
explanations.  It's not ID's causation alone that interests me--it's their
evidence, and as far as I know they have stuck pretty well to natural
examples as "evidence" while muddying the waters with the supernatural when
it comes to the explanations of causation.

My ultimate point is simply that they raise interesting questions, whether
or not we like the answers they supply, and that (again, whether we like it
or not) those questions and explanations resonate with the general public.
As such, it is my personal opinion that scientists--and museums--would do
well to work to make it clear to the public what their concerns are with ID
rather than simply throwing up their hands and declaring it all part and
parcel of one bad thing (creationism) and something best ignored.  That's
bad PR at best, intellectual sloth somewhere in the middle, and a missed
opportunity for real education at worst.

From what you've written, I can assure you that we're not far apart in our
thinking about the merits of ID and how it stands in relation to science.  I
just want people to be willing to re-test their beliefs (scientific,
religious, and otherwise) when confronted with ideas that make them
uncomfortable.  One may conclude that she or he was right all along and
remains right, but too many people want to shut down the discussion for
themselves or others before it gets that far--and *that* in my opinion is a
disservice to the broader pursuit of knowledge, of which both religion and
science are servants.

And with that, I'll relinquish my role as advocatus diaboli and hop down
from the soapbox on this matter, unless somebody needs a direct response
from me to clarify something I wrote.

Thanks one and all for truly thought-provoking discussion!

Peace,

--Eric

Eric D. M. Johnson
Proprietor
The Village Factsmith Historical Research & Consulting
http://www.factsmith.com/