From:
Holly Lundberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 08:15:13 -0500
The Higgins Engrossing Ink is soluble in the acetone that the B-72 is mixed
with, and this is what is causing problems. Try using a water-soluble ink
(Higgins makes a water soluble India Ink). You might find this works better.

However you might try the following technique which is one we often use:
-Use 10 - 15% w/v B-72 in acetone as the base layer and allow to dry
-Write your number on top with permanent India Ink (we use Higgins) and a
quill pen and allow the ink to dry
- Seal with with Liquitex Soluvar Varnish.

Soluvar is a non-yellowing reversible picture varnish. Unlike the B-72 or
ink, it is soluble in mineral spirits.

Holly Lundberg, Associate Conservator
Field Museum

At 02:30 PM 3/30/01 -0600, you wrote:
>Please advise!
>
>Our Curatorial Assistant is trying to use B-72 for bottom and top coat
when labeling artifacts, however, it does not seem to work with the ink we
are using (Higgins engrossing ink).  The ink seems to roll off the base
coat and smear when the top coat is applied.

>She tried a Sharpie on another, which worked better.  However, I have read
that you shouldn't use Sharpies.

>If anyone is using B-72, please let me know what ink you use!
>
>Thank you in advance!
>
>Jill Brush
>

>Jill Brush
>Curator