From:
Mary McLellan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 13:41:06 -0500
<<Does anyone happen to know a couple of different database applications on
the market for use in a Volunteer Program? Specifically if possible in a
museum setting. Thanks>>

Hi Brian-

I am responding to you directly and to the list in case there are other
people interested in this thread.

As soon as I saw your first posting regarding Volunteer Works software, I
was going to write.  But, alas, had nothing to contribute at that point.  I
had ordered the introductory packet from Redridge and liked how it looked
but didn't feel that the cost could be justified.  I currently use several
different documents and spreadsheet workbooks to keep track of my
volunteers...which is a pain at times.

When you sent your second message, I contacted the volunteer coordinator at
a local hospital.  She had supplied me with 125 volunteers last year when
one of our changing exhibits was actually generating charitable proceeds
for their hospital's cancer center.  I would have been up the proverbial
creek last year if it had not been for her help.  Since she has a volunteer
base of 400 plus people, I figured that she must use some sort of software
to keep her folks in order.  As it turns out, she has a new system from
Redridge and will be going online with it within the next couple of weeks.
She has invited me to come and take a look at the system.  It includes a
touch screen computer on which the volunteers can log in and out.
Personally, I don't feel that our small museum would need anything THAT
elaborate, but I will be able to look at the various tracking screens, etc.
and decide if the Volunteer Works program might be beneficial here.  So,
after that rather long-winded story...I am suggesting that you may want to
call one of your local hospitals to see what they use.  You may find a
group in your area that has already solved their problem of volunteer
tracking.

Let me know if you'd like me to report my findings to you after my look-see.

Mary McLellan
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mary A.McLellan, Admin. Asst., Ext.243
AMERICAN TEXTILE HISTORY MUSEUM
491 Dutton Street, Lowell, MA 01854-4221
Phone (978)441-0400, Fax (978)441-1412
                "Dressed for the Part"
Hollywood Costumes from the Silver Screen
    November 16, 1999 to March 12, 2000

Museum-L" (without the quotes).