From:
"Dr M.H. Evans" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jun 1996 10:27:14 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
Dr M.H. Evans <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>In article <[log in to unmask]>,
>Roger Smith  <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>A poser for all experts of Welsh Legends. Can anyone provide us with
>>some information on the legend of Gelert?
>
>I had suspected that the Gelert story was a Victorian invention, but
>it is older, <snipped>

My initial suspicion was partly justified, it seems. There is no
mention of the Gelert legend in 2 oldish books of serious Welsh
history that I have looked into.

William Condry states:

    "The name Beddgelert means 'the grave of Gelert (or Celert)' who
    was probably a now forgotten, early Celtic holy man buried there
    at a site now lost. The famous story of the faithful hound is a
    romance of the Middle Ages told in several European and Asiatic
    countries. 'Gelerts Grave' was the invention of an eighteenth
    century inn-keeper cashing in on tourism. <people like Pennant and
    Bingley, presumably> So it is high time Beddgelert stopped trading
    in on nonsense and relied upon its genuine attractions: streams,
    picturesque bridge, fine situation and lovely walks to mountains
    all around..."  [ "Exploring Wales" by William Condry, (Faber &
    Faber, London, 1970; ISBN 0 571 09434 1)]

>    "This celebrated dog had been a present to Llewelyn from his
>father-in-law, King John, about the year 1205..."
>
>The latter statement surprises me. I know nothing of Welsh royal
>genealogy, but it seems unlikely that a Welsh prince would be related,
>even by marriage, to an English Plantagenet.

I was wrong here. Llywelyn ap Iorweth ("the Great") married Joan,
King John's "natural" daughter, ca 1204. From then until the death
of John in 1216 he was at various times either an ally of or in
revolt against John and the English Throne.

Martin H. Evans