From:
Ware Petznick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2007 16:12:55 -0600
Hello Ariel,

Have you considered a slide and negative digital picture converter? They
used to cost a fortune, but they are down to about $100. If you can recruit
a volunteer or an intern to do it, that would be an inexpensive way around
the issue.

Some slides we had converted 5-10 years ago were done by a local photo firm
here in Beaumont. Very expensive that way, and I wouldn't recommend that
process, because when they were done, the image was "translated" into viewer
software - thus removing it a further generation from the original image.
When the cd is put in the computer, it automatically comes up as a
slideshow, which is frustrating. I relate this story, so you can be mindful
to ask for a specific end product if you use an outside firm.

Walgreens does this sort of thing now if you want to risk them handling your
slides... Not v. expensive.

Good luck!
Ware

L.W.S. Petznick, Ph.D.
McFaddin-Ward House
Curator of Collections
725 N. Third St.
Beaumont, TX 77701
409.832.1906 p 409.832.3483 f

Mark your calendars for Egg Nog Thursdays beginning November 29th until
Christmas. Free tours of the first floor of the house run from 5-7pm and
offer a rare opportunity to experience the McFaddin home at night. Also,
join us for "A Christmas Homecoming" throughout the month of December when
the home celebrates Perry Jr's return from the Navy on Christmas Day 1918.

The McFaddin-Ward House features three floors of original furnishings,
including a newly restored third floor. Explore the McFaddins' world in the
years surrounding the First World War  for "Foxtrots and Foxholes"
throughout 2007. Call 409-832-2134 for tour information.