From:
Bill Maurer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 17:08:03 -0400
Tom hit the nail on the head.  The money isn't there but the personal
rewards are.  Another approach, the one I took, is to have another career
and make enough money to then go into the museum field. I "retired" from my
own business, had a Masters in Humanities, then went to NYU's Museum
Studies, finished there and interned at an historic site.  Proved myself
during the internship working hard for free, was offered a full time
position there in exactly what I wanted and now am happy in my third
historic site.  I must admit, though, the salaries around the country really
differ.  The money in our "industry" seems to be with the development
people. And of course there is the arguement just how much of the Director's
time should be taken up with fund raising.  Most museum folk didn't chose
the career to raise money - hey, it just works out that way!
New York State has put out a large booklet with the salaries of the
different levels within the state. Mine is at the office, maybe someone can
reference for Adrienne.
(Tom, how do you manage to get five weeks vacation?)
Bill Maurer
www.gomez.org