From:
Michael Hering <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 10:02:01 -0600
Bravo. and Amen.  My comments were taken completely out of context.  Cheeers.  michael J. Hering

>>> "HARVEY DAVID ... COLLECTIONS" <[log in to unmask]> 08/18/98 02:57PM >>>
In my recent posting on civility I did not intend to open up this thread of discussion - I simply had mentioned it as the proper subject rather than the unfortunate comment that had been made on the list.

However, I must applaud Mr. Apodaca's comments here.  Too many people make assumptions and act upon them, or in many instances, don't act upon them.

I would further say, that in no way did I interpret the asst. director job posting for the Louis Armstrong House to prefer one member of a group over another -  I think that that was an assumption of Mr. Herring's and perhaps some others.

The bottom line is that diversity is a problem, especially within the museum field and allied professions, such as conservation.  I happen to believe that by the time someone chooses a career, or, applies for a job, that it is already too late to seek redress.  Equal opportunity has its roots in equal education - if a member of any group has been deprived of this essential element, they are already terribly disadvantaged in finding any opportunity within society. Especially given the intense competition in the job market.

Many of us who find ourselves in the position to advertise and hire for positions are obliged to find the best applicant for the position.  Often many are initially screened-out even before the written applications land on our desks.  Among those that remain, often educational backgrounds might be equal, but other factors such as actual experience with like collections or professional activities count.  After this winnowing-down, then comes "the interview".  By this time, anyone who has any disadvantage in qualifications has long been left out.  The essential question to ask is how to encourage anyone and everyone to develop themselves to participate in our profession, and to make sure the opportunities for education and experience (such as internships and volunteer opportunities) are as equal as they can be.

We all have to do more to raise awareness in the schools about museums and careers in them to everyone.  Fourth and fifth graders should know that they too, can become a curator, registrar, or director, of a museum. The realities of starting a career in museums should not be sugar-coated.  As many on this list have recently said, it is tough to break-in and to get a permanent position.  A graduate degree and top grades are not a guarantee.  It takes perseverance, dedication, networking, and a little thing called "luck".  The best forum for young people of all groups to appreciate this is to meet museum professionals directly, either in school or on a field trip to an institution. .  Remember, we are the role-models for the next generation.

I know that the diversity numbers in my field, conservation, are pretty dismal.  The American Institute for Conservation has made the encouragement of diversity one of their priorities, and has run a paid summer diversity internship program for some years now.

I'd be interested in hearing about the AAM's position on this topic.

Cheers,
Dave

David Harvey
Associate Conservator,