From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 1999 21:51:04 -0700
On Saturday, October 9, I took a course at UCLA
wherein a recruiter was present.  The recruiter is
responsible to find staffing for academic and
nonprofit jobs.

According to that person, recruiters (headhunters) do
use posted resumes.

Now, that was the nice part.

Here's the blunt.

Time to get with the time Museum-listers.  Those who
intimate that someone is too lazy to get to the job is
awfully elitist and museums who do not get with the
systems available at hand are behind the times.

On the one hand, I understand that, as NPOs, it is not
uncommon for computers in Museums and other nonprofits
to be less than the top of the line in terms of state
of the art.  However, time is flying, and more and
more invididuals are coming on line.

An NPO that overlooks the savvy and sophisticated use
of such a resource by a prospective candidates is
cheating itself in terms of resourcefulness.  You have
someone out there who is showing initiative,
intelligence, has some job skills, and you want to
pass them by because theyd didn't come knock and
grovel?

Of course knocking and groveling are still important,
and a candidate that only posted on line would be a
fool, too.  You use whatever tricks you have in the
old hatbag to get the job, and you, Mr./Ms. Hirer
would be very unwise to overlook such a potential
asset because you're not up-to-speed in the medium.

Remember:  You're not offering them some high-faluting
salary, for the most part.  You don't have the money
to do that.  Why not use someone that shows they can
resourceful and can automate what may be taking you
far too long to do?

For the record, mine's not out there yet.  I'm in
transition, but not ready to post.  When I do, it will
actually be a web page, including educational and
training history.

=====
Indigo Nights