From:
Carol Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 08:52:03 -0400
        You're not going to find one universal database program that all
museums are using-- (isn't that the truth!) - not even in the same
institution base.

        within our corporation (the museum of civilization, canadian war
museum, childrens museum and postal museum http://www.civilization.ca/)
there are two seperate and distinct database systems in use. The 3
dimensional artifacts are on a database system that was customized to all of
our needs, and is called KE EMU. The archives and libraries use another
called GEAC or GESICA http://www.civilization.ca:8001/ (same thing), both
are accessable on the web, although with KE EMU the web access
http://www.civilization.ca/membrs/collect/csintroe.html is limited to a
couple of collections. Plus I know that some over at the museum of
civilization were using Access before our conversion to these databases and
I am sure that some are still using it. Both systems were chosen because
they had the potential to be accessed through the web.

        Prior to either of these two systems the Canadian War Museum and the
Museum of Civilization both had our databases resident with CHIN (Canadian
Heritage Information Network) http://www.chin.gc.ca/ we (War Museum)
downloaded new records to CHIN using a database program called DATAFLEX,
while some at the Museum of Civilization used Access to download to CHIN.

        I think the key to what ever system you use is to ensure that your
records are as accurate, and as consistant (in terms of nomenclature) as
possible, and that the database can be adapted to your specific needs, and
still be easy to access.

        I am sure that this is now as clear as mud when it comes to
collections databases there is just not one standard!

        Carol Reid