Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 08:56:29 -0500
As the human resource contact at the National Air and Space Museum, I
receive many of these letters.  All of our hiring is handled through the
central Smithsonian Office of Human Resources.  Since most of our hiring is
for federal positions, we follow the federal guidelines.  My usual response
is to send copies of current vacancy announcements at NASM, possible future
openings, an application, information on the 24-hour jobline, and our
website.  I also mention that the OHR has an applicant supply file that is
used to fill some vacancies, if the want to submit a resume to them.  On
occasion there are trust-funded temporary positions that might be filled
without formal advertising.  Unfortunately this is not very helpful to
someone looking for a job.

Good luck with your search.