From:
Christina Myatt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 09:15:09 -0500
Nicholas,

While I understand your points, please consider that our programming is in
response to the educational standards that the teachers in the Quad City (IA
and IL) area are being asked to teach in their classrooms.  This is only one
program offered in terms of "immigration and migration" of peoples.  In our
area, we have a large number of immigrants who were German, Swedish and
Belgian and many of those who came to this area did pass through Ellis
Island.

While our program may not be what you would choose to teach, we have a
responsibility in our mission to "tell the stories of our region".  In
teaching immigration, the Ellis Island experience is part of that.  It is
also what the teachers are looking for and need to meet state objectives.
This program has been highly applauded by our local educational community.
In teaching history, they teach about Ellis Island.

And whether those immigrants came through ports in California, New York or
whatever, the feelings of fear, hesitation, heading into the unknown and the
search for various freedoms is universal.  Our program concentrates more on
how does it feel and the students experience than the facts of Ellis Island.
 But, face it, when we talk about immigration that is what is real to them
and a starting point.

I am happy to see them learning American History period.  Most of our
students who pass through the museum could not tell you much about American
History as it has been replaced by "social studies".

While you may criticize our approach, it works for us and it answers a need
in our community.  Our Illinois schools have found that new standardized
tests required due to "No Child Left Behind" cover immigration (specifically
the Ellis Island experience) and they need a program like this.  The program
also includes a treasure hunt through our gallery River, Prairie, People
which details the history of our region.  In this way, students relate from
Ellis Island to our local immigration stories.

I do not disagree with you that the sentimentality gives greater push to
Ellis Island.  I do not disagree with your point about Ellis Island being
only one part of the immigration experience.  However, I disagree with your
assumption that we are "misleading" that students who attend this program.
The Ellis Island experience is very much a part of our region's history and
teacher evaluations would show that this program is beneficial to their
students and attendance grows every year.

I am saddened to see such a negative comment in regards to our programming
from a list which I believe to be here to encourage and support each other.
Disagreements are fine and had you couched your response in terms of, "so we
teach Ellis Island but what are we doing to teach about
immigration/migration" that is worthwhile discussion.  To come in and berate
a program which you have only read a short description of is certainly not
in the spirit of "community".

Christina

t me off list.