From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 12:05:58 -0400
Christopher Dill said:

> Hmm.  I got only one off-line response to my query about Friends organization
> benefits, so I will be more direct:
>
> Do those of you who have Museum Friends organizations offer them a discount in
> your museums store?
>
> Thanks

I have a question regarding this question. Do you mean a Friends Association
that is distinct from a membership program, or are you using the two terms
interchangeably?  If you have a Friends Association do you also have a
membership program? Do they get two distinct discounts? Can one person get
both? Are they cumulative?

I know I think of these two types of organizations differently, but that
doesn't mean others do or that either one of us is necessarily correct. I
know institutions that have one or the other and some that have both. Most
museums have a membership program of some sort, but I know many who have had
Friends Association and have disbanded them because they can expand
uncontrollably and presume too much authority. Perhaps the confusion led to
the scant reply to the original post. Or maybe I am the only one confused.
It wouldn't be the first time. :  )

The reason I ask is that everyone seems to be answering that they give 10%
discount in the stores and that seems to be the standard benefit for museum
members and it got me to thinking about this issue.  We have a membership
program, no friends association, and a modest volunteer corps. Members get
10%, volunteers and staff 25%.

Anyway, I guess I was wondering how all those people who are answering this
question, and those that have not, define "friends organization." That might
help me learn a little something about how to structure benefits at my own
institution.

Thanks,

--
Matthew White