From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 May 2002 07:49:19 -0700
--- Astrida Schaeffer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The high-waisted styles definitely did require corsetry--nature doesn't put
> bosoms as high as these fashions required them to be. Alden O'Brien at the
> DAR Museum has been doing a lot of research into corsetry from this period.
> Advertisements from contemporary newspapers also mention corsetry.

I'd love to see her research because I've found very little from this period on
corsets. A friend of mine at the Sully plantation has also been researching on
the time period and come up with very little. It's driving us nuts. There's the
one from the Kyoto collection and I've seen a couple of others like this
unboned lace-up mini-corsets as shown in the picture on this page:

http://locutus.ucr.edu/~cathy/dress/und.html

And if you look at this portrait of two ladies by Rouget in 1811, the lady on
the right clearly does not have a corset on. Granted these women are French and
they tended to be the most...uh...freely attired of the time period.

(scroll down to about the middle of the page)
http://www.songsmyth.com/daydresses.html

Deb