From:
"Wilson, Linda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 09:15:03 -0600
Mr. Baron:
I assume you are considering restricting the use of flash in your
facility.  We have a similar situation here at Shedd Aquarium since
flash can damage some of our animals.  Whatever restrictions you decide
to implement, I recommend you talk to your visitors about how you will
communicate those restrictions.  The tendency here in the past, as in
most places, was to put up signs saying DON"T do this or that and
instructing visitor service personnel to guard the collection.
Most of the people engaging in what, from a conservation standpoint, is
negative behavior, do so innocently.  In taking care of their needs they
inadvertently are putting your collection at risk.  We found negative
signs to be ineffective for two reasons
1.      People are inundated by signs and only attend to those which
offer them something they feel they need
2.      People don't remember general signs when they want to do
something at a specific site.
3.      Logical restrictions can be made more palatable by linking an
explanation of the damage that can be done to an alternative offered
that fulfills the visitors needs.

Here's an example:  In interviewing people on why they slapped a tank we
found very good-hearted people rapped on a the Alligator Snapping Turtle
tank in what they considered a gentle way to make contact with the
immobile animal inside.  Rather than just say don't rap on the tank - it
disturbs the animal - we tested out signs that gave information about
the behavioral characteristics of the animal (why it was immobile) and
asked the visitor to look for slight eye movements that indicate the
animal sees you.  The rapping stopped, people read the sign off to other
people (even strangers) who had not yet read the sign and were tapping,
Looking closely at the massive turtle's eyes became an interactive
activity.
We now have a series of customized signs at the tanks we identified as
most impacted by visitor rapping.

So if you restrict flash photography, I suggest you
1.      Observe visitors and find out where the flash pictures are most
often taken
2.      Talk to visitors to find out why these particular objects/pieces
were chosen for photographs
3.      In addition to your general list of proper behaviors and
restrictions, put specific signs in these locations (this particular
paint is damaged by flash photography) and offer people specific
alternatives for that site.  (i.e. a postcard or print of this piece is
available in the gift shop, a designated "souvenir" photo spot is right
around the corner, etc).

Linda Wilson
Visitor Studies and Evaluation
Shedd Aquarium