From:
"Jack, Emily" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2016 15:41:53 +0000
Does anyone have advice or experience related to handling plant essential oils? A donor from our university’s chemistry department is bringing a collection of antique scientific equipment that includes about 30 vials of essential oils (e.g. oil of sage, oil of rosemary, lemon, bergamot, etc.)

We’ve spoken with conservators who suggested emptying the vials, based on evidence that although the chemicals inside the vials may be inert, they can nevertheless emit vapors which may be corrosive to other materials in storage or display.

When we told the donor, her response was that the vials are sealed/frozen shut and cannot be emptied.

We’d be grateful for any advice/insight regarding this situation.

Thanks!

Emily

---

Emily Jack

Digital Projects and Outreach Librarian

North Carolina Collection Gallery, Wilson Special Collections Library

CB #3930, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 27514-8890

(919) 962-4331

www.lib.unc.edu/ncc/gallery.html