From:
Joe Houston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 17:45:38 -0500
Christina,

You might refer to to the AAM regarding this matter. Their Technical
Information Services has provided me with some suggested guidelines in a
paper entitled "Establishing a Museum Facilities Use Program", and they
can provide you with examples of some member museums' published
guidelines. (You must be an AAM member to get this info). You could just
ask some comparable museums to send you their guidelines as well.

In my experience, the usual argument for increased special event
programming (meetings, private receptions, banquets, fashion shows,
etc.) is to help broaden a museum's constituency. My approach has been
instead to stress more substantive community outreach in the form of
educational initiatives. Visitor numbers are on the increase for us as a
result. If a source of income is the main objective for your client,
then a separate facility within the museum, with dedicated staff, might
resolve the issue. Otherwise, one may be compromising the institution's
mission, facilities, staff, and- most importantly- its collections by
allowing inappropriate use to occur.

Joe Houston
Gallery Director
Indiana State University