From:
Nora Weiser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 08:31:19 -0700
        That was kind of my point, Ed. The goal of the "Did you know?" game
is to point out the obvious (as if Americans haven't a clue that anyone
famous in the US might be Canadian).  The correct response when a Canadian
plays the "Did you know?" game is a look of disbelief and the exclamation,
"NO, REALLY!???  You're kidding, RIGHT?"  Canadians love that reaction, as
it reassures them that Americans are a bunch of clueless cretins.  I like to
do what I can to keep my Canadian friends happy, so I usually opt for that
response. :) However, if you are feeling evil and want to upset them, your
reply should be "NO WAY!  Celine Dion is from Ohio!  My cousin's friend went
to high school with her."- or something along those lines.  Once, after a
long game of  "Did you know?", I made the mistake of saying "Isn't it
interesting that all these talented Canadians choose to live in the US."  Oh
boy, was that a mistake.  So, I tried to remedy the situation by saying
"There are probably just as many world-famous Canadians who prefer to live
in Canada."  That just made things worse, as my friend felt compelled to
list name after name after name- none of which was familiar to me.  Luckily
I had the foresight to nod and pretend I had a clue who these people were!

        Sorry to prolong this non-museum-related thread, but I am finding it
quite amusing...