From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 23:18:16 -0800
--- ed sharpe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Great Idea.....
>
> we are adding another 4,000 sq feet on this summer...
> if they pay for it we would be happy to include their name in with SMECC.
> Throw the money at us PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The irky thing isn't so much naming a theater after the company that donated
but the fact that the theater was RE-NAMED after the company that donated. It
is getting to the point that the only thing that counts these days is money. I
have nothing against corporate sponsorhip and giving them due credit for their
support. We all need it.

But what gets me is taking something that is named in honor of someone who has
achieved great things and re-naming it for a company that has money. Sure
Lockheed Martin has achieved great things as a company but they aren't being
honored for their achievements in the aerospace world. They are being honored
because they donated a big chunk of money and have taken the honor from Samuel
P. Langley, the person that the theater was originally named after. Heck if I
won the lottery and donated $10 million to the planetarium for a new projector
and special effects would they name it after me? Would I want that? Hell no,
the planetarium is named after Albert Einstein. I'm a relative nobody in the
world that just happened to get lucky and win lots of money. Where's the
achievement in that?

The other irky thing is that I thought that the SI used to have a policy of not
naming things after large donors because we are supposed to be "the nation's
museum" and first and foremost honor great Americans like Samuel Langley.
Obviously this is not the case now.

Deb