From:
Martha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 2015 21:59:48 -0500
The museum I worked for a couple years ago struggled with this same dilemma at their historic house sites.  Before I worked there they had charged admission, then they dropped it, opting for donation boxes strategically located next to the guest sign-in books.  Following the big economic crash in 2008 - 2009, we started to have some discussion about charging admission again. By 2010 / early 2011, after researching the pros and cons, and taking a hard look at our visitation data, we opted to have suggested donation prices, especially since each site offered guided tours.  By doing this it gave another perk to becoming a member - free admission to the historic houses.  The suggested prices were clearly posted on the website and in the printed brochures.  We also thought carefully about the suggested amount.  We wanted to make sure we were within a reasonable and realistic price-range for the area (Greater Boston area, Massachusetts) as well as making sure it said that the tour was educational, interesting, and valuable.
We did notice a change - visitors began to make donations more regularly and we saw an increase in donations by the time I left my position at the museum.  There were some days during the season where we had an open house day for "free" as well as other special events where it was "free" to the community.

I think that it truly is, as others have mentioned, specific to your museum and community as to whether or not you choose to charge or not, or have suggested donation rates.  Think about the value of your tours, your facility, your exhibit, etc.  I would say if you do opt for an admission fee or suggested donation survey other cultural sites in the area, be within a reasonable range with those, and most importantly don't under-value what your museum / historic house has to offer.

Martha Cummings

Former Assistant Manager of Historic Houses
at Longyear Museum