From:
lorettalorance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 11:14:53 -0400
As some one who was a block away when the first tower collapsed and
experienced the deaths of many people first hand, I find the sculpture to be
in entirely bad taste and exhibited at entirely the wrong time. It seems to
be Fischl's attempt to get his name in the papers again.

Let's be clear what is represented in the statue: It depicts a woman who has
jumped or fallen from one of the towers at the moment her head hits the
ground. The only part of her body to touch the ground is the back of her
head which looks like it is cracking open (at least this is what it looked
like to me).

What is happening at Rockefeller Center is not simply censorship but public
outrage. There is a lot of concern over continuing depression and children's
inability to recover and then this is placed in a very public part of the
city. It cannot be missed if one is walking near it.

And, the main questions to be asked are: Who is complaining? How does this
function as a memorial? By being a blatant reminder of how many people took
control over their destinies by choosing to jump instead of being burned
alive? For those of you who like to view such depictions, there are numerous
websites with videos of people jumping from the buildings and hitting the
ground. Perhaps, people are upset because the Fischl only shows the woman
hitting the ground once, not bouncing up and coming down again as many
actual people did. Maybe people are upset because it's not realistic enough.
But, then again, maybe people are only upset because they don't like
contemporary art. Yeah, that's what making people upset about this
sculpture, it's art.

Loretta Lorance