From:
"Richard D. Clark" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 1997 17:25:57 GMT
>     >Does anyone know of any accurate, good CD ROMS about dinosaurs
>     that can be used >in a dinosaur exhibit?
>     >
>     >
>     >Heidi L. Anderson
>     >The Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Collections Assistant

"Microsoft Dinosaurs" is pretty good.  We've used it twice in
temporary exhibits.  A kiosk version of it exists, and if you or your
development department can establish the appropriate contacts with
Microsoft, you might be able to get them to provide it to you, perhaps
even along with the touch-screen hardware to run it.

The consumer version can also be made to work on a standard desktop
machine.

Besides being reasonably accurate and balanced (according to our paleo
people), the user interface is pretty good and the application itself
is quite stable.

Knowledge Adventure's "3D Dinosaur Adventure" is not bad, although
you'll need to come up with a way to supply 3D glasses/viewers to the
visitor if you plan to put it out on the floor.  It's less
encyclopaedic, less well-integrated, more haphazard than MS Dinos, but
it has more stuff in it for younger kids.  I haven't tried the Mac
version of this; one hopes it's more stable than the Windows version,
which was prone to crashing when we used it.

These are the two we've actually used with visitors.  Hope this helps.

[log in to unmask]            Interfacing is Easy
[log in to unmask]        Compatibility Takes a Lifetime